This page will be regularly updated with examples of gamification and gameful design, if you have any you think that should be added let me know!
- “The process of making activities more game-like” – Kevin Werbach, 2014
- “Motivating people through data” – Rajat Paharia, 2014
- “The use of game mechanics and experience design to digitally engage and motivate people to achieve their goals” – Brian Burke, 2014
- “A process of enhancing a service with affordances for gameful experiences in order to support user’s overall value creation” – Huotari and Hamari, 2012
- “the use of game design elements in non-game contexts” – Sebastian Deterding et al., 2011
- “The process of game-thinking and game mechanics to engage users and solve problems” – Gabe Zichermann
- foursquare – Location sharing social network (Providing the “blueprint” of gamification – Badges, Leaderboards and Points)
- SCVNGR – is a game about doing challenges at places
- Khan Academy – A free world-class education for anyone anywhere. Includes badges.
- Codecademy – Learn to code. Includes a nice introduction, badges, and points.
- Duolingo – Learn another language. Lose hearts with incorrect answers, practice against the clock, level up.
- Chore Wars – claim experience points for housework
- Chore Monster – make chores fun for kids
- Email Game – email management made fun
- Epic Win App – a to do list app that looks like it’s straight out of an RPG
- Habit RPG – A free habit building app that treats your life like a game.
- Stack Overflow – A collaborative, community-driven question and answer site for programmers. Includes reputation and medals.
- Mint – Your financial life, all in one place. Get points for completing useful financial activities.
- Nike+ – Stay motivated, challenged and connected
- FitBit – motivates you to stay active, live better, and reach your goals
- Zombies, Run! – Get Fit. Escape Zombies. Become a Hero.
- Health Month – Live healthier, for fun!
- Nissan CARWINGS – Provides rankings for eco-driving for members who drive the same model vehicle
- Bottle Bank Arcade – turns recycling into an arcade game! Compete for a high score.
- Progress Wars – A game of progress bars and button presses (PARODY)
Comics on gamification
- SMBC: In the future, everything is games (COMIC: A dystopian outlook on gamification)
- Dilbert and Gamification (COMIC: Replacing performance reviews with gamification!)
Videos on gamification and gameful design